No one said you had to have a degree in marketing when you went into business, yet active marketing is one discipline that is critical to the success of a growing business. See if the following sound familiar:
- Not tracking marketing promotions. If you don’t track responses from a promotion, how do you know if it was worth doing?
- Failing to retain customers. It costs six times more to get a new customer than to keep an old one. Don’t get so caught up in marketing for new customers that you forget your regulars.
- Not having a USP ‘elevator speech’. Focus on your solution to the customer and make sure it describes in simple terms "what's in it for them".
- Not including a call-to-action in your advertising. The incentive doesn’t have to be expensive as long as it is adding value.
- Not thanking referrals. Remember, people like to be helpful but they also like to be thanked.